Castle to Crane 2017
On the 23rd of September 2017 we ran the first ever Castle to Crane race. 75 boats competed from across the UK as well as Holland and Ireland. We had a fleet of St Ayles Skiffs, Pilot Gigs, Currachs, Celtic Longboats and a 30' Hebridean Birlinn amongst others.
A great write up of the race can be found on the Scottish Coastal Rowing website here
Full results can be found here, but the winners of each trophy were as follows:
- Median Trophy Royal West, "Chippy McNish"
- St Ayles Mixed 50+ North Berwick, “Skiff John B”
- St Ayles Men 50 + Ullapool, “Ulla”
- St Ayles Women 50 + Anstruther, “Chris o’Kanaird”
- St Ayles Mixed Open Anstruther, “St Ayles”
- St Ayles Men’s Open St Andrews, “Blue Bay”
- St Ayles Women’s Open Avoch, “Zulu”
- Currach An Feuch Un
- Four Oared Boats Porthmadog
- Shetland Yole Lerwick "Siri"
- Coxed Double Scull North Berwick, "Speedwell"
- Bonniest Boat Findhorn, "Joppa"
- Scottish Women's Open Pilot Gig Penryn, "Morlander"
The spirit of the race was a real pleasure as crews helped each other launch and recovery and cheered at prize giving. Just one of the reasons why we plan on doing at all again on the 15th of September 2018